Elton John

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 May 2000 19:59:58 EDT

 Inre ol' Elton playing oot pianos,
Dave asks:
<< Do you think that's what happened when he played at Princes Di's funeral?
It certainly sounded pretty ripe then! >>

   I don't know,  this may be a producer's shortcoming, or maybe he doesn't
listen to what he is playing.  A lot of pianists don't  actually listen to
their sound, so this may be a case of that.  The early recording,  I think,
were done on Bluthner, which sounds pretty good to me.
    The jazzers seem to listen more closely than anybody, though I have had
to jump through hoops to placate country producers.  The guys spending the
money can get pretty picky if things aren't going well,  one little complaint
about trouble "gettin in tune", and immediately the piano becomes suspect.
   When called back, and I find that the piano is still where I left it,  I
do a stability check, (which is wiggling the tuning hammer on the pins of the
notes in question) and tell them it is as close to right as I can get it.
Usually works, and they go looking for other reasons.  It is easier now that
there is a lot less cocaine in the studios.
Regards,
Ed