Communicating clearly

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 19:25:48 -0400

I take a little different view of  :-)  and ;-)  and <G>.  If two people are
speaking by phone they have the advantage of vocal inflection to help impart
their meaning, and if they are speaking face to face they have the added benefit
of body language.  The little facial gestures sometimes help to convey more
clearly the intended slant.

I heard illustrated how the three words "I love you" can mean five or more
different things just by vocal inflection.  It was a lesson I will always
remember.

Regards,
Clyde

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

Those "smiley faces" are also something that I would rarely use for the same
reasons.  If you use it after virtually everything you write, people ignore them,
they become meaningless.  If you use them only on a rare occasion, they are more
effective.