Kent State tech position

Kerry Kean kkean@kent.edu
Thu, 18 May 2000 08:44:10 -0400

Greetings,

The piano tech job at Kent State, Kent Ohio, is now open (12 months, 40
hours a week). I am moving on to other things, but I would like to see
someone good take over the position. You'd be in charge of 65 pianos and 2
harpsichords, including a beautiful new S&S D. Most of the instruments
(about half and half Steinway and Baldwin, with a smattering of others) are
getting older and approaching rebuilding time. I have rebuilt most of the
actions and have done some structural work over the last 15 years, but many
pinblocks and soundboards will soon be needed, either in-house or farmed out.

Kent is a cosmopolitan university set in a small town. The people are very
nice to work with, and you mainly set your own hours. You need to be there
at least part of the school day, but will also have to come in some evening
and weekend hours. You must be disciplined and a self-starter, and a good
communicator. One of your big challenges will be to keep pushing the
administration to buy new pianos on a regular basis (look for allies among
the faculty). The starting pay is weak, but benefits are great, including
free tuition (I got my baccalaureate and my wife got hers and a masters).

Despite my entreaties, I don't know if they're going to advertise in the
journal or not, so if you could mention this in your meetings, I'd
appreciate it. The given deadline for applying is May 30, and I don't know
if that will be extended. For the official info on the job and applying:

http://www.kent.edu/vph/job_op.htm      (see May 15)

PIANO TECHNICIAN

School of Music. Wage: $12.74. Basic Function and Responsibility:
Independently manages and maintains piano inventory; performs general
maintenance and complex rebuilding and repairs; maintains records.
Characteristic Job Duties: Diagnosis problems, rebuilds and performs complex
repairs on pianos and harpsichords (e.g., repairs and/or replaces action,
strings, hammers, shanks, soundboards). Maintains records of inventory,
tuning, repairs, rebuilding, moving, etc.; provides periodic reports on
inventory to Director. Maintains piano shop; orders, and/or purchases
necessary tools and parts; maintains technical library. Arranges for piano
moves; makes recommendations to Director concerning piano maintenance,
tuning and purchases. Serves as campus and community liaison for piano
related concerns. May train and direct student or temporary employees.
Performs related duties as required. Qualifications (knowledge, skills, and
abilities): High school diploma or equivalent plus formal training in piano
structure, maintenance, mechanical procedure, tuning, and repair. A minimum
of four years experience in piano tuning and repair. Microsoft Access is
required. Professional standing in Piano Technician's Guild preferred.
Requirements: Must successfully pass a physical examination and possess a
valid Ohio driver's license. Work Schedule: Normally, forty hours per week
Monday through Friday. However, some evening and weekend hours will be
required. Application Deadline: May 30, 2000. A comprehensive listing of
essential functions is available in the Personnel Department.