45 min tunings/The Thing

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Thu, 18 May 2000 10:25:24 +0100

Hey John,

your questions have all been answered very well.  I´d just like to add one
thing about concert tuning.  The time spent on each tuning is, of course
relatively proportional to the quality of the instrument.  You should be
able to tune a Kimball spinet in under one hour easily, and be satisfied
with the job. Pianos with both wound strings, and double and triple steel
unisons in the temperament area obviously present a futile case and any
time over one hour is time spent for nought (cool word).
If you tune a Steinway, Bösendorfer or a Fazioli the instruments have so
much more to offer you as in choice of style, stretch etc. and are able to
receive a much better tuning therefore demanding more of your time and
effort.  As much as one would like to think that each tuning should demand
the same amount of work, that´s just the way it is.

Since I started talking about higher end products;

I tuned a wretched little "thing" yesterday.
Swedish spinet of the brand Östlind & Malmquist serial number 24255
Does anybody have the production year?

The funny thing is that it wasn´t in that bad of a shape really.  But oh,
the pain to tune.  The tuning pins were extra far down compared to the
other few (luckily) spinets I´ve had the misfortune of turning my nose up
into, so I had to find a really short tip to fit the hammer.  I couldn´t
use a Papps mute of course, and the pitch raise took well over thirty
minutes because my hand didn´t fit to well down there.  Come to think of
it, I should have raised it with the strings free.
Also, it had stickers coming down from the front end of the keys that
PUSHED down on sort of secondary wippens that in turn pushed the main ones
up.  I had removed the lower lid and was quite startled when the stickers
pecked me in the knees on occasion.

Today I will tune a Bösendorfer!

Kristinn Leifsson,
Reykjavík, Iceland