PR in treble only

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Wed, 17 May 2000 23:53:52 -0500

Kevin E. Ramsey RPT wrote:

 One thing I would add though, try pounding on some keys first,
> Sometimes the pitch drops because it's just "hanging there" and you'll end
> up with a pitch raise anyway.
>     Maybe the best and easiest approach it to go over EVERY tuning twice.

I've experienced this very thing....the piano was just about at pitch
and I tuned it. I got a drink of water, came back and nearly the whole
thing had dropped. I had to do a pitch raise and then tune it again. I
ate a little on that job, but learned a lesson. Asking lots of questions
helps and playing the piano a lot before, during, and after tuning is
essential. This particular piano had not been played in a very long
time.
	I think you are right Kevin. To a lesser or greater degree it is good
to raise the low spots or lower the high spots before fine tuning.
Follow that with 3-4 minutes of playing all over the keyboard and spot
tuning unisons etc.