Interesting Dilemna, update, mea culpa

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed, 17 May 2000 11:10:04 -0400

Talk about dumb luck (that's being dumb and lucky at the same time).

I removed the nose bolt 'crowns' to figure out why the bearing was
so deep in the tenor. As far as I can figure out the ultra tight crown
also screwed the stud into the beam further. My helper did not notice
the stud rotating with the nut, I'm lucky the plate did not crack.

The stud was reset and the nut replaced, keeping a tuning
hammer/lever/wrench on the stud. The bearing is now fine on the first
duplex. The second duplex still needed minor shimming and the third
needed filing on the high end.

WHEW,
Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.