SOUNDBOARD FINISH

Tue, 16 May 2000 17:33:32 -0400

Larry -

I'm certain there ARE a smorgasbord of opinions on this subject, or at
least I have heard it to be so.  However, my opinion is that it doesn't
really matter that much, within reason.  I have used shellac, lacquer,
varnish, and water-based finishes, all with no perceptible (to me) loss
in sound quality.

Some of the old boards are really loaded with lots of grain filler, and
topcoated with multiple coats of either lacquer or varnish (depending on
age).  It seems to me they weren't all that worried that loading the
board with finishing solids would harm the ability of the soundboard to
do its job.  I would think that a very brittle finish like polyester
would be a poor choice, but other finishes with more elasticity (almost
everything else!) would be fine.

Re: your use of white shellac, that is fine, but you may consider adding
a bit of alcohol soluble dye to bring out some yellow or orange - your
call.  Or start with orange shellac.  Also, lacquer works fine over
shellac, but if I were using shellac and lacquer, I would use a couple
coats of shellac, then put on the decal, then apply a couple coats of
lacquer over that.

Whatever your choice, certainly spraying on the finish would be desirable
to brushing it on, but it can be done either way.  I would not try
brushing lacquer, though, unless you are an experienced "brushing
lacquer" user.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com