Mystery (was Re: %#@$pers)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 May 2000 11:11:47 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/00 9:38:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
RNossaman@KSCABLE.com writes:

<< Isn't this the same reason you have for your repeated posts about the
 inadequacies you see in others' tunings, and your proposed improvements on
 the status quo? Why is the fact that others aren't interested in your ideas
 such a problem for you when your disinterest in their ideas doesn't
 particularly bother them?

 It's a mystery. >>

It's no mystery to me, Ron.  You failed to see my point, as expected.  And as
I said, it's the HT's.  As soon as you see my name, it doesn't matter what I
write, it will not be read nor understood for what it really says, it will
only be viewed with a deeply imbedded resistance and rejection of the idea
that a proper piano tuning could be *unequal*.

The very idea that so many tunings that were meant to be ET are not in fact
but a backwards version of an HT is all the more disquieting.  Reverse Well
does not exist because I am the only one who has identified it.  Therefore,
no matter what I write about anything or how I write it, it is viewed with
contempt because I have challenged the very way that you and most other
people have always perceived the art and practice of tuning.  The easiest way
to reject my ideas is to delete them or to take cheap shots at them.  It's me
against all the rest.  If you choose to see it that way, then it is that way.

I was interested in what you had to say about the substandard rebuilding job
but I found the way you presented it to be unreadable, so I deleted it.  It's
just as I said, it is OK for you to rant and rave and spout off, but I am not
allowed to do that.  I've seen other List members write far more outrageous
things than I ever have and have it accepted as normal discourse.  To me,
it's all very amusing because I get lots of private mail from people who are
very interested in what I do and have to say but who are much too afraid to
ever ask about it on the List because they already know what the reaction
will be.

So, if you don't mind too much, I'll talk about what interests me the way I
want to talk about it and you talk about what interests or concerns you, the
way you want to talk about it.  If I lose interest in what you have to say
simply because of the way you have presented it, then you have done the very
same thing that you accuse me of.  It's always been that way, not just
between you and me but with any of the others who have complained.

As I said, it's the HT's.  If that were not my primary area of interest, if I
ranted and raved about PSO's, "tooners", "birdcages are for the birds" and
about a few "kooks" who want to do funny tunings, "don't they *know* there is
only *one* way to tune a piano?!", I'd be cool and just one of the guys, just
like you.  But I am not.  So, there.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin