ET guitar (was Bassplaying)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 May 2000 07:01:47 EDT

 pianoola

<< I played with a country guitar player who change his tuning after what key
his playing in. It would be intresting to check what he is doing. I asked a
classic guitarist if he did the same thing but he said he didn't do it but
he tuned the guitar between each tune so he probably changed the temprement
not knowing it, just thinking the guitar is out of tune.

Greetings,
     If you watch that "country guitar player" closely, you will probably see
that he is changing the B string.
   It is this compromise that usually throws guitarists into tuning hell.
     Many guitarists unknowingly tune a pure or even a narrow fourth between
their lower strings.  This hidden sharpness then shows up on that high E,
making the distance between the G and E strings so great that the B will not
find a happy home between them, ie.  if you make a tolerable 4th with the E,
the G-B third is harsh.  If you slow that third to a tolerable level, the B-E
fourth sounds bad, and when they flatten the high E string to fix that,  the
whole guitar sounds flat and out.
      When the guitar's four lower strings are properly tuned, ( very
slightly wide fourths),  and a clean octave is found for the high
E,  the G-E 6th will be within musical limits and the B string then can be
tuned to improve the B-E fourth while speeding up the G-B third, or flattened
to improve the third at the expense of the fourth.  It all depends on what
key they will play in.
     I have handed a professional, session guitarist a guitar which I had
tuned in as close to ET as I could, and he was baffled.  He said it sounded
pretty good,  and all the chords worked in all the places, but he thought
there was something just slightly off about the sound.  I told him to retune
it like he thought it should be, and he instantly lowered the B string.  Told
me he would bring it back up if they got into the key of E!!
Regards,
Ed Foote
(Music row IS tuning hell...........)