Bassplaying and tuning

Ola Andersson pianoola9@hotmail.com
Tue, 16 May 2000 10:29:45 GMT

I asked a friend of me, a former solobassist of the the
Oslo(maincity)filharmonic orchestra about this problem. We play together in
an amatuer symfoniorchestra. He knew the problem but said that he didn't
know any orchestra in the world dealing with it.
How can a bassplayer tell a cello player how to to tune his cello? The
problem is basses tuning in 4ths and cellos in 5ths. Some cello players
temper their cellos but not enough. My friend is probably the best bass
teacher in Norway and is nowadays culture chief in Bergen. It's a big kick
playing with him. We always tune the loose strings to the orchestra and
check with each other loose strings afterwards. We don't tune one basstrings
to the A and then others to the first like the other stringsplayers do. We
fine tune with the fingers. I don't know anybody but us doing this but I
suppose their is. We bassplayers has to suffer.
Honestly If I could play my bass totaly in tune I would problably be a
fulltime bassplayer. Tuning pianos has made me a better bassplayer though.

I don't think orchestras think about temprements. Horn players have to deal
with it though. When they play romantic chord progressions they have to plan
how to hit a note. Sometimes they have to change one note even if it is an
a1 to an a1 because the note change from being a 5th a major 3rd forexample.
Maybe their is a horn player on the list who can tell more about that. 4
horn players wishes against 80 (a bit out of tune) string players they know
they have to loose. We can call it tradition. It would be intresting to hear
a recording dealing with the problem. Maybe there is one.

I played with a country guitar player who change his tuning after what key
his playing in. It would be intresting to check what he is doing. I asked a
classic guitarist if he did the same thing but he said he didn't do it but
he tuned the guitar between each tune so he probably changed the temprement
not knowing it, just thinking the guitar is out of tune.

>          Being a performing cellist as well as an RPT, I should >provide
>some help here.
>
>                            Michael Meade, RPT

This is very intresting!
I think I will forward this to my friend
But as I said the tradition probably want change. But small ensemble could
begin to exprement.

have to run
Bye

Ola Andersson