need advice please...

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Mon, 15 May 2000 21:39:27 -0500

A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 5/15/0 10:59:56 PM, charly_tuner@hotmail.com writes:
>
> <<  asking if I could replace TWO lost keytops on
> an old vertical.
> they may be ivory.   Can I replace them
> with non ivory and have them match reasonably well? The old keys are most
> likely somewhat yellowed as well.
>
> Greetings,
>    you will need to go out there with a box of ivory heads, some white wafer,
> everything you need to clean, glue, and clamp some heads, and charge your
> normal hourly rate.
>    I have had some great results from dipping  a linen, "glue-soaked",  wafer
>  in a slightly diluted PVC-E glue and clamping the ivory on it for an hour.
> regards,
> Ed
Adding my 2scents........
I've had good results with just warm water, no PVC-E. The clamps I use
are brass and need to be heated up. The linen, "glue-soaked wafers are
great. Like (I believe) Ron said earlier about the dampers - don't go
into the wood... clean off the old stuff very carefully without rounding
the edges.  You know you may find the old ivories in the piano keybed.
It's matching up the color, thickness and so on that's sometimes a pain.
									Dan J