Chapter Technical

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Sun, 14 May 2000 07:13:02 -0500

List,

    First, I want to publicly thank Ed Foote for a great technical on
"Alternate" Tunings :-)
that was done yesterday for the Houston chapter. This is the same class he
will
give at the National and I want to encourage anyone who has even a mild
curiosity
about this subject to attend his class. Some good history there on the
development
of temperaments, even if you have no intention of ever tuning anything
other than
your normal ET. A couple of techs were even interested enough that they
commented
that they were going to experiment with it.
    Second, during the course of the morning, while talking about different
temperaments,
we discovered that some of the offsets preloaded into the SAT III are
incorrect for the
name of the temperament. Let me encourage anyone who uses the SAT III
temperaments
page for tuning, check the offsets against known correct ones, such as in
Jorgensen's
"Tuning". I will be doing this Monday!
    Because of this, our DMA student who gave a Lecture Recital on this
subject got a
"mystery" Kirnberger for Chopin. :-) After checking what was there, Ed
suggested that it
looked more like a Meantone type of temperament but even with that,
everything still went
well and quite a bit of interest was expressed.
    All in all, a very profitable and interesting Saturday. Thanks again, Ed!

Avery