Tooners :-( or exasperation exemplified!!

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 13 May 2000 12:27:36 EDT

Jim,

The old "now we're out of money, can you still fix it?".  If I were in your
position, I would charge a consulting fee for providing your detailed
assessment and also for testifying in a deposition and/or in court.  The
admonition regarding trying to fix up someone else's poor work should be
heeded.  Do you need to try to do this and struggle with the customer about
paying for the time it really takes you?

I would stand firmly with the recommendation that now, the only solution is
to send the instrument to the Steinway factory for rebuilding there.  The
factory will have no real problem tearing it all down and starting from
scratch.  The funds for such a project could come from proceeds from the
lawsuit, a loan or savings accumulated for a few years as the piano sits in
the picture window occupying space but producing no music.

It is not your problem because it is not the result of your misdeeds.  Trying
to solve the problem without adequate compensation would only place you in
jeopardy and hardship.  Your best position in this matter is as an expert
consultant for which you can and should take compensation for the time you
spend giving analysis, opinions and advice.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin