annoying posts - new solutions

Russell E. Robertson rbtson@fyi.net
Sat, 13 May 2000 00:28:23 -0400

>I don't recall whether Andy has a position pro or con on attachments; =
what's
>your committee's thoughts on the topic?

>Patrick Draine

I don't mean to sound so cranky about the tremendous amount of =
unreadable material on this list - just go check out in the archives =
v.2000.n442.  Those of us receiving the digest form of painotech get =
just what you see there.	http://www.ptg.org/archive/pianotech.php/

I am not opposed to being able to do more and fancier things with email. =
 I got a hotmail account for the sole purpose of subscribing to =
pianotech one message at a time, and I must admit that this may be =
easier to handle than it used to be.  I can see the pictures that are =
sent.  It will be possible now to keep a database of the technical =
information I would like to archive for myself, and perhaps someday be =
able to share it.

I do believe that if one checks the majordomo greeting message you =
received when you first logged on to pianotech, and check out the list =
description on the piano page, that you will find the suggestions for =
not posting non technical messages and large attachments.

It has been suggested many times that we have another list for the more =
social postings and just keep things technical on pianotech.  Having =
been subscribed to this list for years, I often think it resembles a =
neighborhood or an office more than a technical bulletin board.  Piano =
tuners work alone most of the time, and don't get the social contact =
with co-workers like most everyone else does who had a "real" job.  I =
think we need more education on how to use email; how to filter and =
organize messages.  Usually, everyone with an email account also gets =
space for a web page.  If you post pictures to the list, it is probably =
more appropriate to post them to your web page and let people click on =
the link.  That way the archives and digesters don't get messed up with =
a lot of garbage.  Remember, you can't hit the delete key in digest =
form.

The internet, email and web have changed tremendously in a very short =
time.  THe software is better and easier to use - of course I may think =
differently in about a month when over a thousand pianotech messages =
have filled up my new mailbox!  A little consideration for the entire =
Pianotech community will go a long way.

Carol Beigel
on the road in Zelienople, Pa.