Scaling (Warning! Tongue in cheek)

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Fri, 12 May 2000 19:50:26 +0100

On the scale of 1 - 10, how do you like icecream?
That was a joke for people frustrated with jokes.

Now, my dear people, a technically related question specifically designed
by yours truly to fit the needs of those that did not smile at the previous
j-o-k-e.

This is my question and it´s mine and I made it:

Actually the question comes last in this text.

I just tuned an Estonia grand about (185 cm) and encountered what I think
might be a scaling problem.

The hammers were all made of haddock!  ...sorry.

A few months ago I told you about a problem in the mid treble of these
pianos.  I have never been able to make the octaves stretch enough to my
liking, without them having a beat in them.  Now, I know how to tune
(warning: cuss)...dammit!  I´ve tuned many of these grands many times and
this is something I encounter every single time with just them.  You told
me this is probably a scaling problem.  Today I also noticed something else.

As I started going down the bass with beautifully slowing thirds they
slowed down supercalifragilistically dramatically on the first wound
strings, going all the way down.  Isn´t this a typical scaling problem?

The temperament was equal, (not the "LWKT" ) and was very good.  The grand
sounded fine however, so I´m not worried but this still strikes me as a
problem of some sorts.

Could this have anything to do with the positioning of the bridge?

Kristinn Leifsson,
Reykjavík, Iceland