Fixing artist benches

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 12:07:30 -0500

>Jansen also told me that the other benches I have can't really be fixed   I
>don't know what brand they are, and I'm having a bit of a tough time coming
>up with a good way to describe the mechanism.  It has the single arm running
>parallel and underneath the threaded rod.  But I notice that the pivot points
>do not appear to have any means for tightening.  They are like an all metal
>action center!  Even after tightening every bolt, screw and allen screw,
>there doesn't seem to be any improvement.
>Gordon Large, RPT

Hi Gordon,
I've overhauled a bunch of different "Name on Request" adjustable benches.
With some, it'a simply a matter of tightening and adjusting everything.
That's after you find replacements for the nuts, bolts, screws, bushings,
and washers that fell off and were thrown out just before you were called
in to fix them. With others, there is some re-engineering necessary, since
they didn't seem to have been built with the intention of being used more
than twice in the first place. I've made new parts, welded old ones, added
bracing, bushed holes, and generally spent more time than the bench was
worth, but I can usually end up with a solid, functional bench. It can
actually be kind of fun if you're hard headed and inventive enough... and
getting paid for it.

Ron N