Grand Rim Construction

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 10 May 2000 13:54:01 -0500

>I would like any comments about "built" rims for lack a better word.  I once
>had two late 19th century Webers in my shop side by side the same piano
>except for one had a bent rim case and the other had a built up case.  The
>latter sounded much better.  Just looking for any thoughts on the matter.
>
>Andrew Remillard

Del will have more on this than I do, but here's what I think. I'd prefer a
built up rim of a very hard wood over a bent rim of softer material. I'd
prefer a bent rim of rock maple over a built up rim of the same material.
I'd most likely further brace either rim if I was installing a soundboard.
I'm working on an old 6'3" Kimball grand at the moment, that has the built
up rim. It got a soundboard, bridges, and a bunch of other modifications
and lots of extra bracing. With the old hammers, it sounds pretty terrific
(I think) and if I can ever get the rest of my action parts, I can see how
it is with the real stuff. The point is that there are more differences
between your two Webers than the rim construction. Identical pianos, with
sequential serial numbers, can sound considerably different even though the
construction appears to be identical. The other point is, I guess, that
either type of rim can work well, or badly, depending on how it's done, and
the materials used. Rigid and massive is the mantra.
Ron N