Steinway console tuning

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Tue, 9 May 2000 16:53:47 -0500

>> Last week I tuned a 45" Steinway console dated from the early '60s.  It
>was
>> the most stressful tuning I've ever encountered in years.

I just wanted to add to this that I tune a couple that change pitch so
dramatically when you put the lever on the pin that my only  thought is
that there is not enough pressure under the pressure bar, the speaking
length is not isolated enough. Dont know if this is true but it sure feels
that way.

I just tuned a Boston console that was just as bad if not worse, the pitch
wobbled when you put your finger on the pin, the pins were overly tight as
well as mushy feeling, very difficult to sense when they had moved, and
three pins in the 4th 8va were rounded over and had to be replaced before I
could tune them. A new piano....go figure the quality control in that
factory.