Steinway console tuning

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 9 May 2000 15:51:18 -0400

I just had to reply to this one. About three years ago, just before I first
got involved in piano technology, I (er, ah, my &*%$ WIFE) bought a brand
new S&S 1098 (we went out that day looking for a good used piano for under
$1,000 - go figure). Several months later when I started learning to tune, I
started practicing on - you know what ........ our brand new S&S 1098.

I had a rough time learning to tune (and I'm just talking about tuning
hammer technique, as I started with an AccuTuner). It was an absolute #$^%
tuning that thing. Finally, after umpteen hundred FRUSTRATING hours
practicing on it, a friend of mine with a little junky spinet said I could
try tuning his piano. I did. Wow, that was an easy piano to tune. After I
started tuning for pay, I got to the point where I was putting a pretty
decent tuning on a piano in about an hour-and-a-half. Then we finally got
rid of out piece of #$^* S&S 1098. I never did a complete tuning on that
piano within one day.

I have tuned right around 1,000 pianos now (even several S&S verticals -
none were fun) and have NEVER run into a piano that put up as much fight as
that new 1098.  A TOTAL BEAST! S&S grands (even brand new - I service
several) are not problem. Why in the world are the verticals made the way
they are? I consider this a design FLAW. (Well, I guess I feel better now
:-)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida