Viability

Doug Mahard nlm@csu.cted.net
Tue, 9 May 2000 06:57:39 -0400

> Seven months ago I got my first check for tuning a piano. I now have
> close to
> 150 customers. It feels like it's going to take forever to actually
> become viable.
>
> My question is: How long did it take you to get enough customers to be
> viable, and
> how many customers do you consider that is? I understand that viability
> is different for
> different people, but I'm just trying to get an idea, on the average,
> how long it's going
> to take.

Hi Martin,

It took me about two years to generate enough business to actually be
somewhat financially comfortable in this trade.  The first year was a real
struggle.  This is my seventh year full time and I'm closing on June 5th on
my first home purchase.  (My wife is a private piano instructor). Hang in
there it will happen.

I would say your doing pretty well if you already have 150 people on your
data base in just seven months.  I have about 900 clients on my data base
and add about 100 every year.

Just to give you an idea of the local I live in, I cover parts of both
Fairfield and Litchfield counties in CT.  Both very affluent counties.

Good luck,

Doug Mahard