Soundboard crowning

PianoGuru@AOL.COM PianoGuru@AOL.COM
Sun, 7 May 2000 20:59:57 EDT

In a message dated 5/7/00 5:51:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time, richardb@c2i.net
writes:

<<  there has been a lot of talk about soundboards back and  forth regarding
the viability of the old style compression soundboard as opposed  to boards
that are more or less pressed over precurved ribs. >>

Well, I hesitate to get involved in a discussion that I have not been a party
to from the beginning, but I will make a few observations.

What is characterized as old-style or new-fangles is not necessarily so.
Much of what we do today in building pianos is not far removed from the way
it was done 100 years ago.  It is not an either-or situation.  Most
manufacturers today do cut a crown in the ribs, but we also rely on the
effects of "natural" crowning.  We continually test ideas in experimental
efforts to learn more about how we might build a better piano.  More often
than not, the experiments raise more questions than they answer!

Frank Emerson, engineer
Mason & Hamlin