Repeat Business

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sun, 07 May 2000 11:14:23 -0600

At 09:12 AM 5/7/2000 -0500, John wrote:

>What I am doing now is sending out a reminder postcard based upon the
>desired tuning interval, or whatever interval I think might be best. I got
>500 postcards printed (around $55), with return address on one side, and my
>name, ph #, etc. on the reverse. I print my own labels with a recently
>purchased Dymo Labelwriter. On the same line as the customer address, I

I also have my own cards professionally printed, but rather than using a
labeller I print right out of Lotus Approach directly onto the cards with a
Canon Laser printer. All I have to do is find the set of records, load the
printer with the card stock and press the print button. The last tuning
date is printed on the card automatically as well. I used to use the phone
for callbacks as my father did, but people are so busy these days you
either get a machine or someone who really doesn't want to talk on the
phone right now.

>rather than thinking I might be "pushy." The way I figure it, if I have five
>immediate responses from postcards, it is worth it (and I have at least that
>many). I have many later responses as they have time to look at the card
>which is hopefully on their fridge. :-)

One other thing I state on the card is that the customers who call within
10 days will get a a 10% discount on the tuning. While I was admonished to
"never discount the work of your own hands" when I was an apprentice, I
figure that 10% actually comes out of the computer time it takes to enter a
new customer's data, which is already done of course. The discount gives
them a little incentive to call.

Oddly enough the best response to the discount is from the wealthy. I
suppose that's part of how they got that way.

                         John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
email: john@musselwhite.com