"New" old uprights Costs

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 07 May 2000 12:03:13 +0200

Ahhh... here we go arguing sematics again.. rebuilt can and does mean several
things and just because someone doesnt put the term "completely" in front of it
by no means disqualifies a job from being termed rebuilt. Rebuilt can mean
"rebuilding what ever needs rebuilding" and nothing more, or It can mean
completely rebuilt, as in "taking absolutely everything out of the case and
putting a new piano inside it"

As for discouraging that or not.. hey to each his own. Personally I like old
cases and lean towards making them very playable (whatever that takes) and
refinishing them with French Polish. Old casework has a value of its own and can
be made to look very beautiful indeed. Even with a few knicks and bumps in the
woodwork. French polish has a way of even making those look nice, indeed one
could say even appropriate given the fact that the case is old.

I have no trouble at all envisioning a "rebuild" job for around 7500 dollars, tho
as Wim points out thats a bit on the low side for what he terms as a complete
rebuild. I would expect that the job was specified as to what was and wasnt done.
In the end tho Wim... if the piano is worth that to a customer, and defensible
from a technical point of view (personal type prejudice taken out of the picture
mind you) then whats the beef ??

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.