Recording charges

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 6 May 2000 23:07:37 -0500

>Hi,

>What would you charge for a tuning if you were dragged out of bed on
>Saturday morning, (your day off), and asked to tune a Bösendorfer concert
>grand for a recording that same evening that just CAN´T wait until Monday.

>note: you have 35 years of experience and are the most respected tuner in
>the country.

>(My father was asked to do this just now)

Well the father could recommend his son.

Suppose this happens.....
You are called by a venue for the first time to tune for a concert on the
same day, afternoon or evening even..  You quote your rates and they say,
(if too high) "Let me get an OK on this and get back to you in about 10
minutes"  Probably they are going through the  yellow pages so at best they
don't call back, or at worst they go ahead and book and call later and
cancel.  Just try to collect on that one if you have not shown up in person
already.

    What venue of any importance does not have two or three piano tuners
on their rollerdex?  The reason those tuners are there is because
they will come at the last minute, and not for an arm or a leg.  Soooo if
the venue you dream about tuning for calls one Sunday morning, and
you want to be called again as in regularly,  you might want to offer a
"regular" rate rather than arbitrary gouge.  ---ric