downbearing

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 06 May 2000 21:37:19 +0200

Charly Tuner wrote:

> The Steinway tech at the store where I floor tune was in a quandry today
> regarding a new custom made 9 foot Steinway called the "Rhapsody", to
> celebrate Geiorge Gershwin's 100th anniversary. The problem: "Scotty, we
> need MORE power!" I tried it after it was tuned, and it sounded like a small
> verticle. I speculated that the soundboard had "pancaked" as a result of
> excessive downbearing, and he concurred! This is possible, since everything
> else was pretty much ruled out.

First of all you need to confirm you have a problem with the board and there are
a few things you need to check. Routinely you should run a piece of string
across the underside of the board between the ribs in several places to see if
you have crown and what kind of crown you have. Secondly even tho you dont have
a down bearing gauge with you your eyeball can give you a pretty decent hint,
tho if you suspect excessive bearing then to be sure check it with proper tools.

> Regulation is precise.

Hmmm... I of course have to take your word on that, but precise is such a
floating concept when it concerns grand actions. Its amazing what can be
accomplished with tone building by variations on the well regulated action
theme.

> How would one go about REDUCING the downbearing, and hopefully restore the
> proper/original crown to the SB?

I wouldnt get into this at all unless you knew ahead of time all the things you
need to know to establish a DB problem to begin with. You are dealing with a
like really expensive instrument. Better to call in some outside expertise.

> I have read that DB is determined BEFORE initial stringing.

er... thats the idea... grin.

> Could the nosebolts/plate need adjusting?

Probably not, and in any case I am not fond of fooling around with nosebolts
with string at tension. I know this is done and perhaps there are fellows out
there who are truely in the know about this kinda proceedure and can accomplish
something positive with it. But thats the point, unless you know, and I mean
know how to judge such circumstance and what to about it, then leave it alone
until you can get somebody in there who can.

> I assume the first thing to confirm this hypothesis would be to use a DB
> gauge, but he did not have it with him at the store At the time. Just curious
> to hear your thoughts.
> thanks!

For sure... you need a good diagnosis before you can prescribe a cure. Brand new
Steinway you say ??? Kinda gotta doubt its got soundboard / downbearing problems
already,,, but who knows ??