downbearing - new Mason & Hamlin A

Pianogreig@AOL.COM Pianogreig@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 May 2000 14:59:23 EDT

As long as the subject has come up - I was asked to evaluate a new M&H A
(less than a year old) for a customer who has been dissatisfied with it from
the beginning. On this occasion he was questioning the lack of sustain.  It
has a drastic drop off immediately & dies out within a few seconds in the
middle & lower treble sections.

I plucked the strings but got no more sustain than with the hammers & the
string had a bit of a twang to it instead of the bright clear ping I would
expect of such an instrument.

Next I got out my bubble downbearing gauge & checked several strings on the
bridge.  Consistently in the middle & lower treble sections the gauge read 0
or very near 0 both front & rear. On the worst old pianos I've never found
negative bearings on both sides of the bridge.   The high treble measured
some bearing but emitted a very odd sound & rapid decay. The bass had an
extremely steep bearing & also an odd hard & ugly sound when played loudly -
at a soft level the tone is "pretty" but small.    The soundboard measured
slight crown near the center rib.

The owner & I have both spoken with Cecil Ramirez who showed real concern,
but said that the NYC dealer who sold it must first examine it.  The dealer
(who is not a technician) is going to look at it in a week.

Has anyone had experience with this sort of situation?  Any feedback greatly
appreciated.

Bruce Greig