downbearing

Charly Tuner charly_tuner@hotmail.com
Sat, 06 May 2000 09:41:02 PDT

I wasn't present when the Steinway tech was working on this $200,000
monster, and I only stopped by for a moment to help with 6 other people to
lift the piano onto a display riser.  I then heard him sampling the sound,
which was pretty dead. I think they are going to send it back to Steinway
for repair.
One more thing on voicing. The tech uses deep needling directly AT THE STIKE
POINT! But he tells me that this is the Steinway method. I'll tell ya, this
would have normally been, for me, a Slam-Dunk dead give away for the current
problem. I have always thought that deep/excessive needling at the strike
point would DESTROY hammer firmness,(maybe not immediately, but soon) and
leave them totally useless for loud playing.