"New" old uprights

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 May 2000 09:48:53 EDT

In a message dated 05/05/2000 11:35:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
remoody@midstatesd.net writes:

>  I still have not heard modern uprights sounding as good as the classics
from
>  1890-1915.   And this is in unrestored condition. Oh yes there was a
$10,000
>  new Grotrian upright , but  did not sound $9,000 than 1910 Knabe (original)
>  I recently tuned.   I bet they would be hard pressed to get more than $500
>  for that.
>  "No one wants those big old uprights anymore, they are so hard to move".
>  Glad you have the business, I would be happy with just ONE $7k upright
>  restoration or one player restoration even.     ---ric

I agree,  I have the feeling this may be a trend.  How long it will last or
how far it will go I have no clue.  We are seeing more upright interest every
day.  It can be a little confusing when trying to tell a customer about the
value of their piano when some are being sold for $7500.00 and others won't
sell.  I still tell the customer it probably won't have much selling value. I
hope that changes.
Dave
DFW Texas