dampers all the way

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 5 May 2000 01:02:25 -0500

>For Viennese pianos (English I can't say for sure) is clear - all pianos
>prior to about 1830 had a *full complement* of dampers to match their
>compasses. I know of no piano prior to 1830 that has any missing treble
>dampers.
>
> I suspect the modern damperless trebles are a direct descendent of the
> mid-19th Century decision to omit them. Once gone the accountants
> probably were the contraining factor...
>
> Stephen
>
> Stephen Birkett Fortepianos

Yes,  less dampers is a cost factor but following up on Del's suggeston
about soundboard area, there is more sound board  in the treble after
the dampers quit.  I had never noticed it before.   In two grands I see the
SB area increases quite a bit after the damper lift block ends (or what
ever it is called where the D wire guides go through)   Also interesting to
note the modern grand dampers end in the area of f3 (F6 for piano
technicians)
which is the extent of the 5 octave range Steven mentions for early grands.

Regarding English grands; in an article by John Koster are photos of a
Robert Stodart grand 1790, (Smithsonian) and Matthew and William Stodart,
1795 (Shrine to Music Museum) showing full complement of dampers.  These are
F(1) to F(6)  and F(1) to C(7) five and five and half octaves.  The 1790
shows three damper missing as if they were there originally. The 1795 has
dampers on all notes.
---ric