Age Stats

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Thu, 04 May 2000 11:52:58 PDT

To start with, thanks for all the happy b-day greetings!

This thread has interested me because it has always seemed to me that each
additional year in my life makes it better and better-- as opposed to
conventional wisdom that it's "H---to get old".  So I started keeping track
of peoples replies (besides the original question was something like "what
is the average age?")  So, here are a few of the facts that I gleamed from
the age and experience replies on the pianotech list:

The "Youngest Award" goes to Kristinn Leifsson who is 21
  and has been tuning for three years already!

The "Eldest Award" goes to Dick Beaton who is 84 and has been tuning for 25
years (I wonder what he did in his "previous lifetime"?)

Two techs responded who are in their 20"s
Three are in their 30's
Thirteen in their 40's

for a total of 18 who are in the first decade of their lives.

Twenty are in their 50's
One in his 60's
Two in their 70's and
One in his 80's

for a total of 24 in the second decade of their lives.

So far no one has responded who is in the third decade of their life :-)
Commmm_on all of you who have held back in replying to this thread!

The most common ages of respondents are 47 and 54 at five techs in each
group.

The years of experience has been harder to track because a number of folks
have not included that info.  However it appears that the largest number of
us started 22 to 25 years ago (10 techs) with all the others being fairly
evenly spread out from 1 to 37 years.  I wonder what happened 22 to 25 years
ago that caused so many of us to start tuning pianos?  Baby boomers finally
finding their path? Inflation? Job losses?

I've enjoyed all your replies.
Diane