Arlington 2000 Travel revisited

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Wed, 3 May 2000 21:17:04 -0400

I must admit that I have had fun extolling some of the sites of Washington,
D.C. and fielding questions about transportation.  I have also learned a lot
today about the changes that are forever occuring in this town.  Thanks to
the excellent work Garrett Traylor has done with the PTG Convention web
site, just about everything you want to know is on the web.  Here is some
updated information.

1) Try not to fly into BWI.  Use Washington National airport if you can.
Getting to Crystal City from BWI is a pain, and will probably cost $45 and
take 2 hours, especially if you come on a holiday like the 4th of July.
Check out  the BWI website at:  www.bwiairport.com and click on ground
transportation. The MARC trains (Camden Line) are commuter trains that only
run between 4-6 ish.  You have to take a shuttle bus from the airport
terminal to the MARC station.  The MARC trains do not run on weekends or
holidays.  However, if you do manage to catch one of them, it takes less
than an hour to get to D.C. and costs about $6.00.  From Union Station (on
the Metro Red Line, take the subway to Metro Center and transfer to the Blue
Line.

However, the Amtrack trains along the Penn Line stop about every hour at the
Amtrack station at BWI.  It is a 15 minute ride to New Carrollton ($18) or
25 minutes to Union Station ($19).  You should get reservations from Amtrack
at 1-800-USA-RAIL if you want a seat!  They also run on holidays and
weekends.

If you know to meet someone arriving at BWI, share a cab with them to get to
Crystal City.  If several of you are arriving together, arrange for private
limo service and share the cost.  It will be the cheapest and less hassle of
all!

and monuments along the Mall are beautiful at night. Take a Kleenex if you
plan to walk past the Wall at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.  President
Clinton has been known to go jogging early in the morning along the Mall, so
who knows what you might see between 4 and 6 AM.  Sometimes a fillibuster
goes on in the Senate so someone can obstruct legislation before Congress
recesses in August, and you can watch your tax payer dollars at work
watching your elected representative read the phone book!

To add just one more thing, if you are into IMAX movies, they run all day at
the Air and Space Museum.  Check out the Smithsonian at:
www.si.edu and the movies at www.nasm.si.edu/nasm/IMAX/IMAXtimes.html

The more you know before you get here, and the more planning you can do in
advance, will make the time you're here more enjoyable!

Carol Beigel, RPT