muting the sound of a grand

Gina Carter ginacarter@carolina.rr.com
Wed, 3 May 2000 09:17:16 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <bases-loaded@juno.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 8:05 AM
Subject: muting the sound of a grand

> He asked me yesterday what recommendations I might suggest to make the
> piano significantly muted so that he can practice without disturbing the
> neighbors too much.  (We have already voiced the piano down as far as he
> wanted me to go.)

Mark,

Several years ago I worked with a Russian pianist who wanted to practice
during the orchestra's rehearsal. We moved the piano to the wings where I
used every mute strip I had and muted each note so that when he played, the
only "sound" produced was a dull thud. The pianist showed me this procedure
for this was how he practiced at home in his tiny apartment so he wouldn't
disturb his neighbors. Note, his objective was to practice notes and
technique not to work on the nuances of sound.

Gina