Full range damping?

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 03 May 2000 07:16:06 -0400

Rodrigo,

I am not a piano designer, so if any of them respond, take their words
more seriously than mine.

Most vertical pianos I service have dampers up to E6, with a few going as
high as A6 or maybe A#6; I'm not sure.  I figure that if even the most
expensive pianos in the world do not have dampers all the way up to C8,
then either it is not possible or feasible to do so.

Still, I suppose it could be done, although you don't have much room to
work up at the treble end where the strings are so short.  It certainly is
not common; I've never heard of anyone doing it.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger