Steinway vertical input desired

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Tue, 2 May 2000 22:19:44 EDT

Hi, Brian:

You are probably aware of the section in Larry Fine's "The Piano Book"  on
Steinways (the chapter "Buying a Used Piano").  Pp. 164 and 165 (3rd edition)
have the best catalogue of Steinway upright models I am aware of.  Yours, for
example, seems to be a Model E (or ancestor, whatever that means).  I have
begun to photo-document and catalog all the Steinway uprights, because I have
not found this information in one place.  Since I lost touch with the only
model "E"  I know about (client died, piano sold at auction), I am interested
in any pictures you might share with me of this piano.  I try to take a set
to document the piano prior to teardown - if you do this I would gladly pay
for the cost of extra prints or negatives.

I give a program on the Steinway upright (will do so at the Los Angeles PTG
chapter this month), and will give a slide show too.  If you have slides, I
could use them in the program if you are willing.  Again, glad to pay for it
ahead of time, and shipping etc.

At least one model of Steinway upright includes a radical application of the
continuous rim concept, integrating a bent rim all the way around the piano,
from top left to top right corner.  I am trying to document any of these.
Does your piano do anything like this?

With the extensive work Jack Wyatt has done on 19th century instruments, I
wouldn't be surprised he has done some documenting of the Steinway upright,
but I haven't asked him.

Fine refers to someone in his book too, but I haven't followed up on that
either.

Hope this helps!

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University, University of Redlands

n a message dated 5/2/00 11:41:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,