"New" old uprights

Joseph Alkana jfa19@IDT.NET
Tue, 02 May 2000 18:12:17 -0700

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> Ron;
>   That is the story here in the low rent section of Florida also.  I have
> done several comlpete 'rebuilds' on older uprights
> These were high dollar 'rebuilds' comparable to a 'rebuild' on a grand.
Jim,
Rebuilt to me means that, among a host of other things, you replaced the
soundboard. Is that true? (Bravo, and a tip of the hat if you did!)
Anything less is not a rebuild, IMHO, and on any old upright approaching
the century mark I doubt there is much in the way of soundboard life
left. For a customer to drop a huge chunk of change into a cosmetically
improved, tonally challenged, mechanically inferior, deteriorating oldie
seems a bit pretentious and misleading by the "rebuilder in charge".

I realize there is no standard or "approved" list of definitions
regarding my concept of rebuilt. Nevertheless, I feel very strongly that
to continue foisting glamorous, musically unsatisfying high cost
refurbishments of worn-out derelicts upon an unsuspecting and often
times uninformed public does our credibility as technicians little good
in the long run.

Flame suit on, and apologies if I have infuriated or incensed anyone.

Thought: If there is such a demand for the nostalgic look and the
pre-eminent tone associated with larger upright instruments, why aren't
they being produced?

Joseph Alkana