"New" old uprights

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 2 May 2000 15:22:31 -0700

What will work for this is a showroom where these pianos can be displayed
for consumers.  With some patience they will sell...

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 1:10 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: "New" old uprights

Of course Ron is correct about the market place and old pianos.. at least
for
the greatest part of the market. Still there are those few that will pay
lots
and lots for a beautiful sounding, great playing, and superbly restored old
piano. If the cabinet is nice to begin with, and you are able to put a great
sounding piano inside of it (either by restoration or complete rebuild) then
its fun and rewarding to do such work. Once every couple years or so you can
sell something like this for what its really worth.

I have this feeling that we tend to underestimate the potential of this end
of
the market really. Its a market niche that needs a lot of working to be
sure,
but heck if you can sell one such instrument every couple years, why not do
it
??? .. its fun and the money you get (when you finally get it) is always
like a
kinda Christmas present that comes out of no where. Not to mention all the
oohhhs and ahhhss you get to hear from anyone who see's the result of your
work. A good way of advertising what you can do when put to the task.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.