Concert charging

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 02 May 2000 12:09:19 -0700

I have tuned for George Winston.  He is one of the nicest concert
artists I have ever worked with.  He is VERY particular about clean
unisons so whatever you do make them stable.  He always likes the tech
to touch up the piano during intermission.  He brings his own mutes and
lays them out before he leaves the stage to mark the notes he wants
done.  When I tuned for him, at the end of his program before a full
audience he acknowledged "...the outstanding services of the piano
technician, Mr. Robert Goodale".  Boy, talk about great advertising!
Treat him right and you may get the same!!

For concerts such as this double the normal rate of your tuning.  Note
it on your bill as "concert tuning".  Add half again as much for going
out on stage at intermission since this will also require you to wait
around through at least half of the concert.  Charge your normal rate
for any tuning required for rehearsals before the concert.  If any
technical work is required, (i.e. voicing or regulation), charge your
normal hourly rate.  If you are required to tune a warm-up piano in the
green room, charge your normal tuning rate.

Don't be afraid to take their money.  They make tens of thousands of
dollars for these gigs and your services are a drop in the bucket to
their budget.  You are providing them a professional service for a
professional performance and they expect these expenses.  Dress
appropriately.  Always approach the artist first thing when they arrive
to shake hands and introduce yourself as the piano technician.  Ask if
they are happy with the instrument and if there is anything you can do
for them.

Best of luck, have fun!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV