Bechstein

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 2 May 2000 12:02:57 EDT

Et Al;
 I received the following request from a colleauge here in Florida. He is not
signed on to pianotech.  Due to an extreme lack of knowledge on my part vis a
vis Bechstein evaluations/valuation I declined an opinion but offered to post
this to pianotech for your perusal and opinions.  All responses will be
forwarded to the tech in question. Thanks.
Jim Bryant (FL)
-------------------------------

<<Hi Jim,
Would you be able to give me a ball park figure as to the worth of a
Bechstein "B" (6'8") from 1909?

Here are the details:
1. Rebuilt by A&C in New York
2. Case was refinished and looks georgeous.
3. New Sound board and of course strings, pins and plate repainted. The piano
looks pristine.
4. NO NEW PINBLOCK... pins are 3/0 and it tunes w/o a problem.
5. New hammers but regulation is not great
6. It sounds very good but not great as a Bechstein should. Surprisingly,
considering the new SB, I detect a very slight dead sound near the treble
break.

The pin block is a puzzlement. One would think that it is not the original,
judging by the nice feel of the tp's. Nevertheless it tunes without any
problems. It's a beauty to look at. What do you think Jim? Thanks for any
help.">>