Grand Rim Construction

Tue, 2 May 2000 08:12:10 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Woodrow, John (Parramatta) <John.Woodrow@pil.com.au>
To: 'Pianotech List' <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 02, 2000 1:21 AM
Subject: Grand Rim Construction

> List,
> Every time I see a reference in a post on the list on the superiority of
> sound created by a grand piano using hard maple in the rim construction
over
> one using 'select hardwood', I must admit I scratch my head as to the
reason
> why.
>
> Is the answer the dense maple reflects more sound back onto the strings
and
> soundboard I ask myself.  Surely 'select hardwood' covered in polyester on
> both sides is a pretty dense and reflective surface so this doesn't seem
> explain it to me.
>
> Can somebody please put me out of my misery by explaining the secret that
> everybody else seems to understand but me, of why all other things being
> equal, construction of a grand with a hard maple rim creates a piano with
> superior tone to one with a 'select hardwood' rim.
>
> Regards,
> John Woodrow
> Sydney, Australia ICPTG

John,

First, you have to define 'superiority of sound.' The Select Hardwood rim is
neither as massive nor as stiff as is a maple, birch, beech, ash, oak, etc.,
rim.  This means it will absorb somewhat more of the vibrating energy within
the soundboard--energy that would otherwise go into sound energy.

If all other elements of the design were the same, sustain would be
noticeably (and unacceptably) shorter in a piano using Select Hardwood.  I
have had the experience of being able to evaluate two otherwise identical
pianos, one with a poplar rim and one with a maple rim.  The instrument
using the maple rim had considerably longer sustain characteristics,
especially through the upper tenor/treble region.  True, there were some
differences with the hammers used, but in this case we could fairly easily
swap actions and still the piano with the maple rim was clearly superior.

Now, it should be pointed out that rarely, if ever, are all other elements
of the design going to be the same.  The decision to use a Select Hardwood
rim sets in motion a chain of related and dependent changes to accommodate
its characteristics.  Typically the soundboard and ribbing will be somewhat
stiffer and more massive.  And very often the string tensions will be raised
a bit, as well.  This all has the characteristic of restoring some or all of
the lost sustain, but it comes at the expense of acoustic power.  And in
today's market this would be the kiss of marketing death.  God help us if
the salesperson is unable to whack out a few unrelated chords using as much
force as is humanly possible and confidently comment on how this new Bauble
Creek 'Bartók' grand has more 'power' than any of its obviously inferior
competitors.

To get the power back, the next step is to make the hammer heavier and more
dense in an attempt to get more energy into the string.  Which works, kind
of.  But it also gives the piano a somewhat harder and harsher sound.  So to
compensate the hammers get fuzzed up a bit on the surface which gives the
best of all worlds.  Good power to satisfy the sales staff and the fuzz
takes off the harsh edge to the sound and the piano is still cheap and
everybody is happy.  Until the odd piano gets sold and delivered to a home
in which it is actually played by people who's hearing has not yet been
destroyed by the over-indulgence of their youth or by the constant noise
pollution that is slowly deafening most of us.  And that, my friend, is
where you come in.  About six months or a year after the folks start playing
the piano you get a call, "Our new Bauble Creek piano just doesn't sound
like it used to.  Can you please fix it?  In a few minutes.  At no cost.
Please.  Thank you, the maid will let you out when you've finished."  And
now you will have the task of attempting to balance this soundboard and rim
design with hammers that have essentially zero resilience inherent in their
design.  But, not to worry, you're a pro -- you can do this and still leap
that building in a single bound on your way to your next appointment.

Regards,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder