? of liability - resolved

Mon, 1 May 2000 11:55:57 -0400

Hello -

Some of you may remember a few weeks back that a customer's wood floor
received minor damage in the process of me moving their full size upright
piano away from the wall for servicing.

I am happy to say that the matter has been resolved.   I checked the
damage, and it was indeed done by the piano's casters, which were
horribly undersized - app. 1 inch diameter!  In addition, the right rear
one was bent.  They have accepted as compensation a free installation of
a set of double rubber casters.  My insurance has a $250 deductible, so I
was happy with their decision, and they were not enthusiastic about the
disruption having the floor redone would cause.  The damage itself was
really quite minor, but had dented the floor to some degree in a 4-5 inch
long arc.

The question of liability in a situation like this remains a bit murky in
my mind, insomuch as their piano had what would have to be considered as
faulty casters, but the long term happiness of a pretty influential
customer is worth finding a resolution in as friendly a manner as
possible.

I have a new thread to pose in another post heading.

thanks for your input.

It's a jungle out there...

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com