Bursitis

Elian Degen J. degen@telcel.net.ve
Mon, 1 May 2000 01:45:26 -0400

Roy

Sorry to hear about your condition, I never experienced any of this =
symptoms, but I can tell you why I believe never had these problems.

I strongly recommend you to check with a qualified orthopedic, it would =
be good for you to analyze your "piano tuning positions". I do not think =
it matters so much what kind of hammer you use as the position of your =
arm and boy when you do it.=20

My father (former piano tuner) showed me several things that I think =
helped (he also went throughout his piano tuner life without any pains)=20

mainly

1.- To tune with both hands (Right for Grands, left for uprights)
2.- Height, In old times they showed piano tuners to tune standing up, =
specially uprights, I am one of the tuners which find it very =
uncomfortable, but it seems a logic position because it avoids straining =
the shoulders, Depending on the piano I am tuning I try to find a high =
chair and keep the elbow low, otherwise when I start to feel fatigue I =
finish the tuning standing up.=20
3.- Make exercise, Mark is right on this

I tell you this also because my wife's family were mainly Medical =
Doctors and I know a bit how it works.=20
Some  prescriptions, specially painkillers when they have effect, they =
are hiding the symptoms and you could inflict more damage while you do =
not feel the pain. So not only visit your physician, but also try to =
find preventive advise

Elian=20

----- Original Message -----=20