Pure Tone Strings

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:03:08 -0500

>  E-modulus  close to190 kN/mm2, and an Average density figure of 7.90

It has been 30 years since I played with such numbers.  I am not at
all sure of these numbers compared to "modern" wire.

It does sound a lot like you are getting sales hype.  There is such
a limited playing around range in current wire fabrication and all
of them have been tried at one time or another.  Metallurgy is not
at all my field.  I have a hard time telling plastic from metal
sometimes.  Now gold on the other hand...

There is no real difference between metric and American Standard
wire sizes until you get into sizes larger than 20 gauge.  Such
difference in the smaller sizes can be negated by wire drawing
variations.

> Hmm... he said it was quite an appreciable notice.

Then I want to know how this was determined.  If you change a wire
size by two full sizes you CANNOT hear the difference but it is
measurable by an SAT if done carefully.  This may well be what was
mentioned about changing wire stiffness.

Interesting point:

Given one note location and speaking length every wire size will
break at the same pitch when drawn up that high.

		Newton