Jumpy strings?

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:16:12 -0500

Hi again,
    Have any of you ever run into jumpy string? I've been tuning a
Steinway B in a music school for quite a few years now and it's finally
getting to the point where it's almost impossible to tune. Much of this
depends on my mood too as to whether or not I want to screw with it.
Just like jumpy pins you are nearing the point where you want the string
and it jumpy too high or too low. The pin does, however, turn smoothly.
I've tried teflon powder on the understring felt and other lubes at the
agraffe to no avail. The feedback I get from my trusty rosewood tuning
hammer says that the problem is near me not at the other end of the
string. I hear something like ticks with the pitch rising if you can
imagine that. Any ideas? I'm thinking restringing here if the school can
get a grant for the money. I'm fairly sure that would cure the problem,
I'd just like to understand it a little better. Feel free to share any
insights, s.w.a.g. 's or the like.
        Greg Newell