too much "pounding!"

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:18:02 -0600

Terry,

Since you use the SAT, why don't you test the Steinway to see how it renders
via your lever technique, and how it renders under "death" blows. This is
one thing the SAT is great for--you can see instantly what happens. If it
does not render with hard blows any better than with softer blows, then you
are not accomplishing anything by pounding. It would be a good experiment.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Charly Tuner
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2000 1:34 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: too much "pounding!"

I guess the steinway tech was mostly referring to the very fussy steinway
uprights...with the oversized pressure bar that makes rendering the strings
difficult, so he says you must strike the key extra hard, in order to get
the string to set fully through the pressure bar, or as he says, the tuning
will not stand, at least not very long. There are plenty of non-steinway
pianos to keep me busy, so I will let the tech do all the steinways.

Terry