Steinway Drinking

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:19:40 -0500

Thanks Guys,

So far you've been on the money.  I will be studying more in detail
Friday.  So far the pins are jumpy but not as tight as before.  The piano
had been restrung perhaps thirty years ago.  The action is yet ultra
loose.  Everything is greasy.  I think I also need to question my
touch-up man as to the exact formula of the stuff spilled.  My wife said
it had some color in it, it wasn't clear.

An excellent Steinway service/sales/rebuilding center here in PA said the
piano is totalled, that time will prove it very compromised.

I had this thing sold.  It was supposed to move on today to a middle man
near New York, but . . . . .

Thanks again for the very valuable information, you guys and gals are the
greatest.

Roger Hayden, RPT

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 19:35:53 -0500 Jon Page <jonpage@mediaone.net>
writes:
> Mineral spirits are used for thinning oil based paints.
> When thinning these finishes I prefer to use naptha and
> save the mineral spirits/paint thinner for cleanup.
>
> Being a petroleum based product some slick residue will
> be left behind. Enough to hinder?  I don't think so but I'd
> still keep my fingers crossed  :-)
>
> Since it is a piano which is on the verge of needing restoration,
> who's to say that this 'pushed it over the edge'?
>
> How well do you like the touch-up guy  ?  :-)
>
> If I had a choice of what to spill in a piano: water, soda, mixed
> drink,
> milk, lacquer thinner, acetone, sulfuric acid, mineral spirits; I
> would
> opt for the mineral spirits any day.
>
> Time will tell,
> my bet is that it won't be much, I'm optimistic.
>
> Jon Page
>

> At 06:48 PM 03/28/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >In a message dated 3/28/2000 5:09:08 PM, Greg wrote:
> >
> ><<I thought that mineral spirits was another name for paint
> thinner.
> >Greg Newell>>
> >
> >Greg;
> >  Mineral spirits is called by many names and is used for many
> things, "paint
> >thinner" being one of the names and uses. Paint thinner though is a
> kinda
> >'generic' name for any compound that may be used for thinning
> paint. Some
> >paint thinners you can drink........no!.......... I mean like
> 'water' :-)
> >Among many other uses....if caught in a tight spot....... mineral
> spirits may
> >be used for a laquer retarder in order to allow for longer flow
> time, retard
> >bbbbblushing, etc.
> >  Acetone, Naptha, Alcohol, etc. are all "paint thinners" in one
> incarnation
> >or another.
> >Jim Bryant (FL)

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!