Steinway Drinking

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:17:53 EST

Roger Hayden writes:
> <<So far it looks like nobody knows what mineral spirits will do to a
>  Steinway pinblock or action.
>
>  Any guesses out there?>>

Roger,
"Mineral spirits", or paint thinner, is similar to naphtha in that it is a
fairly light fraction of petroleum. It tends to be a less narrow "cut" (less
pure), and often leaves an oily residue as it evaporates. It can make tuning
pins "squeak", but you might not know this for a while. There is nothing you
can do but wait for the most volatile parts to evaporate from the block, and
I can't give you a time frame. Don't pronounce it okay too soon. It might
take weeks or months. If it squeaks, it might be possible, if the area isn't
too big, to remove the pins and seal the holes w/varnish (allowed to dry).
Experimentally, you might follow that with a swab of epoxy to allow re-use of
the original pins (disclaimer, disclaimer). That might avoid a new pinblock
if this one already has oversize pins.

As far as the action is concerned, what parts are on it? I've always found at
least naphtha to be relatively benign to action centers, and in replacement
parts I wouldn't expect any ill effects after they dry, which will take only
a couple of days. I was surprised by Jim Bryant's expectation of future
verdigris, although after all these years I'm not sure anyone understands it
completely, and it's possible that impurities in the mineral spirits could
cause trouble over the years. It's also possible that Jim's experience in
Florida could be different from mine in the dry central valley of California.
Good luck,
Bob Davis