No EBVT at Convention-thanks to all

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 00:56:20 EST

Dear List,

Thanks for all the responses but please do not think that I would write such
things merely to seek attention.  For me, it is simply reality.  I'll try to
respond to many points people made in one post, as shortly as possible.  I
never said I wasn't loud and at least sometimes negative.  I did not use
offensive or obscene language.  My purpose was not to "inflame" the List nor
"flame" Ed Foote.  I always actually kinda liked the guy and his CD is not
bad but it is not what I would have done.

The things I spoke of really happened.  Many people tell me I should "be
like" or "act like" Jim Coleman or Owen Jorgensen.  I could if I wanted to
but that would be simply using my theater acting skills.  Maybe I will
"mellow out" to their degree by the time I get to be their age.

Owen Jorgensen was indeed targeted long ago by an individual who wanted Owen
"kicked out" of PTG (using Owen's own words) because of the studies he had
done.  The fact that Owen's wife has been concerned about what she has
witnessed and is afraid would happen demonstrates what I have been saying all
along.  The very idea of an *unequal* temperament is upsetting to many people.

The person who wrote me the threatening letter had actually encountered a
piano that Owen had tuned in 1/4 comma meantone.  I was blamed.  When it was
revealed to her what the truth was, it was still my fault in that person's
mind for being the way I *am*.  If only I could be like Owen, so kind, so
gentle, etc.,  then I would be able to accomplish every thing I desired.  I'm
afraid that is not true.  There are many things I wish Owen would do and say
that he will not but yes, I respect him as being among the very most
important influences in what I do, just as Jim Coleman is.

Now, who do you think got Jim Coleman to experiment with temperament?  Was it
just Owen or did somebody else who took what Owen was teaching, and what Jim
Coleman, himself was teaching along with what George Defebaugh, Franz Mohr,
Virgil Smith, Steve Fairchild, Ron Berry, Fred Tremper and members of my own
chapter, Tim Farley and Norman Sheppard were teaching, put them all together
and created something that reflects all of their ideas?

The purpose of the EBVT is not to be a specific temperament for a specific
kind of music the way most HT's are.  It is, however specific by its very
nature to music of the late 19th Century and Post Romantic 20th Century
music.  It is meant to be used as a replacement for Equal Temperament (ET).
It will do no real harm to any music that really requires ET (I know of very
little of that and what there is does not have much broad appeal).

The Equal Beating (EB) properties have an unexpected benefit when early music
is played on it.  The canceling out effect of the EB intervals make certain
chords and harmony which are typical in earlier music such as Baroque and
Classical have a much purer sound than the actually do.  Whether or not this
could be considered really appropriate, the assertion is that it would be far
more appropriate than ET for this purpose.  That is not saying it is "better"
nor did I ever say it was "better".

As it has been plainly presented by Owen himself, no one temperament can be
thought of as "better" or as an "improvement".  Any one favoring of any
interval or partial when octave tuning will disfavor another.  But again the
assertion is that ET is not "better" or "the best" either nor is any
particular octave stretching arrangement.

The EBVT with tempered octaves attempts to grasp the essence of HT tonality
with a 21st Century perspective while making compromises that incorporate the
piano's own inharmonicity to satisfy the ear's general desire to hear more
highly stretched octaves than are often thought of as appropriate.  An FAC or
similar smooth curve octave stretching calculation program cannot handle the
irregularities.

To me, the aural tuning sequence of both the temperament and octaves is
surprisingly simple and the temperament sequence is constructed the way many
documented HT's are.  Yet no one, no one ever, so they say, has successfully
followed my aural tuning instructions.  There is the challenge.  They have
been published on this List more than once or twice, I think.

I have not deliberately violated my pledge to keep my posts civil and non
inflammatory.  I hope Ed Foote's class is a success and have every
expectation that it will be.  I have the utmost respect for what he does and
his opinions but I think he should have the same for all other HT
practitioners and be sensitive to the weight that his opinion stated publicly
carries.

I'm afraid however that no matter how well Ed does, it will not change the
fact that there are so many that will dismiss his ideas completely and keep
on doing whatever they are doing thinking that it is the most appropriate or
feasible way to work.  It has now been over ten years since I ever tuned a
piano in ET for anybody for any reason.  Only on the PTG Tuning Exam have I
worked with ET.  I have found a way to tune the piano which is more
*musically* appropriate than ET for just about any kind of music that you
would care to play on the piano.  I didn't say it was "better".

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin