Temperature Change affecting pitch

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:16:59 -0600

>This is the problem I have at the store where I work...NO hunidity control,
>big picture windows allowing sunlight/heat to focus DIRECTLY on SB's!

Terry, There's your problem right there. Direct sunlight and humidity
control are two VASTLY different things. When you were looking for
explanations for this problem a while back, I don't remember you mentioning
the direct sunlight. Did I overlook that?   (wouldn't be the first time)

>My conclusion from my poorly designed study is that it is important to
>watch out for drafts (probably sun also) when tuning.  The change in the
>string seems to be quite rapid and is only ameliorated when the plate and
>frame catch up.

Larry and Terry, direct sunlight moving across a soundboard, plate, and
strings will have an immediate and drastic effect on the tuning. Humidity
changes occur over hours and days. Wood absorbs and releases humidity
rather slowly, and at a rate proportional to the difference between the air
moisture content, and that of the wood. If the moisture content of the air
is considerably different than that of the wood, the wood will pass
moisture faster than if the difference was slight. Wood at 12% MC will get
to 8% MC faster in air of 3% MC than in air of 7% MC.  A ten degree
difference in room temperature for a couple of hours or so won't change the
tuning nearly as much as five minutes in direct sunlight, even if it takes
room MC way down, and in both cases it's the temperature change that makes
the most immediate difference. In the long run, the humidity change will
have about as much effect as the sun exposure, only it takes a lot longer.

More perspective.

Ron N