Balwin 6'3"

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 19:04:25 -0800

Richard Oliver Snelson wrote:

> I add as a side note what I have learned from this expensive lesson:
> Before bringing another piano to pitch, especially one that has been
> stored for a long time. Check all nosebolt position and seating. Check
> all plate bolts for snugness. Also snug down the pin block screws. As I
> mentioned in a previous email the nose bolt on the strut that broke had
> stripped out all threads and was doing nothing.

The main thing that I get from this situation is that a piano which is
seriously flat may have either loose pins or a structural problem. I
would probably not bother tightening plate bolts if I'm not aware of a
tuning stability problem. But then, I've never had a piano go boom!
either.

Which raises some questions: Are nose bolts absolutely necessary to
maintain the integrity of the plate or are they just there to dampen the
ringing? Does it depend on the piano? How does a nose bolt get
stripped?????

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT