Interesting H.F.Miller Upright

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 08:38:17 -0500

Hi Del,

I've been skimming through the posts, and this caught my attention:

You wrote:
> About the only thing you can do with some of these old scales is to make
> them less bad than they were originally.  Unless, of course, you want to
> make new bridges for the piano.  Then you can straighten out at least some
> of the worst of the problems.

This is something that I've not run into yet (personally), but will no doubt
run into at some time.  And I'd like to be better able to deal with it when
it does.

I'm not scared in the least of actually building bridge bodies.  But I don't
have a good handle on how to go about laying one out, string lengths and
such, for a proper scale.  What would be involved in laying out new bridges
in a pattern that would be conducive to a good scale?  I realize that plate
design is probably the biggest limiter in what you can and can't do,  but I
would suspect that many of these 'beasts' could be drastically improved.

Any thoughts you'd like to share?  I would definitely be interested.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net